HMP Peterborough are currently recruiting for a Industrial Chef.
You will ensure the training and supervision of prisoners and assist in the preparation and cooking of meals for 1300 residents twice daily in accordance to Sodexo policies and procedures.
You will be required to challenge negative behaviour and increase self-esteem, increase prisoners’ employability and reduce re-offending.
HMP Peterborough is the first purpose-built prison in the UK to house both men and women on the same site. This highly innovative prison is designed to a high standard of physical security. Sodexo Justice Services has ensured that the prison provides needs-based personal development services for both men and women. January 2015 saw the completion of a new houseblock on the male estate which can house an additional 292 residents, along with an educational activities building.
Sodexo Justice delivers custodial and community rehabilitation services that challenge offending behaviour, protect the public and offer individuals the opportunity to change their lives for the better. We deliver the total operation of five prisons within England, Scotland and Wales and own six Community Rehabilitation Companies in partnership with crime reduction charity Nacro.Package description
£18,000 - £19,500
40 hours per week - working alternative weekends and some bank holidays subject to the shift pattern and operational requirement of the establishment.
Benefits including 28 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays),pension, discounted health cover, subsidised gym membership, childcare voucher scheme, free meals on duty and free on-site parkingMain responsibilities
- Ensure the training and supervision of prisoners
- Assist residents to achieve a Food Safety Level 2 to be carried out at regular throughout the year
- Assist residents to achieve NVQ Level 1&2 in catering alongside Peterborough Regional College
- Be compliant with all paperwork requests within the Department and wider prison context
- Assist in the preparation and cooking of meals for 1300 residents twice daily in accordance to Sodexo policies and procedures.
- Follow the choices from a four week menu of a varied and diverse menu options.
- Maintain all food safety/ Health and Safety regulations.
- Provide Residents support to increase their Catering knowledge and pass a recognised Catering qualification.
- Follow instructions given by Catering Manager and Supervisor.
- Challenge negative behaviour reporting to catering prison officers.
- Increase prisoners’ employability and reduce re-offending.
- Assist with tool checks on regular intervals through-out the day.
- Ensure all relevant policies and procedures, such as Security, Health and Safety and adhered to and take responsibility of the work area
- Attend team meetings to evaluate progress and promote good practice and attend staff meetings.
- Establish a rapport with residents to encourage them to learn and achieve a recognised qualification
- Monitor quality control of work produced by prisoners to maintain standards required
- Meet agreed prison targets which will be identified in your PDR and reviewed regularly throughout the year.
- Minimum Qualification City and Guilds 7132/06-07 or 706/2 diploma in food production and cooking or equivalent.
- Experience of industrial catering.
- To have an interest in the rehabilitation and resettlement of offenders
- To have an ability to communicate effectively at all times through different mediums, including spoken and written communication.
- Experience of instructing/supporting people with challenging behaviour
- Experience in a prison or forces environment.
- There is the opportunity to progress and train as a Prison Custody Officer if desired.
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.Please note all roles within Sodexo Justice are subject to security and recruitment checks which may include a Social Media Check. You will also be asked to provide 3 years’ worth of references and request employment history details from the HMRC