Salary range: £24,964.00 - £28,485.00 per annum
The Manor Learning Trust is a very successful multi-academy trust with three good, community focused schools in East Northamptonshire. Staff are highly valued, talented, motivated and committed to both the students and the ethos and goals of the Trust. Students are nurtured to develop their self-confidence and self-esteem, encouraged to be aspirational and challenged to successfully achieve their ambitions.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a talented and highly experienced Catering Manager to join the team. Based at Manor School, the post holder will be responsible for providing outstanding food and customer service to students and staff in a variety of catering operations across the three schools in the Trust. It is a role that requires proven leadership skills and business acumen as well as a passion for delivering exciting and nutritious food and excellent service on a daily basis.
The successful candidate will have in depth knowledge of the hospitality industry, proven experience of managing and motivating a large catering team and be able to demonstrate past experience of producing fresh, modern and high quality home cooked meals within budgetary guidelines. A 'Can do' attitude, flexibility and excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
Further details and a non-teaching application form are available on our school website: www.manorschool.northants.sch.uk . For an informal discussion or further information, please contact the HR Manager: email@example.com .
C5 Fold >
Early applications are encouraged. We reserve the right to close the advert early should we feel able to interview and appoint an appropriate candidate.
Closing date: 9.00 am on Monday 19 June 2017
The Manor Learning Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Catering Manager - Job Description
Grade: I, Points 28 – 32
Working hours: 37 hours, 52 weeks
Reporting to: Director of Business and Finance
Purpose of the Job
- To deliver an effective, efficient and high quality catering facility across all academies within the Manor Learning Trust (MLT) and for all MLT stakeholders, encompassing menu planning, budgeting, stock control in accordance with health, safety and hygiene legislation and policies.
- To ensure the continuous delivery of healthy and high quality meals that meet National guidelines for Nutritional Standards and caters for all stakeholders.
- To support the aims of the MLT, ensuring that the philosophy of inclusion continues to be the experience of all students.
- To lead, manage, deploy and develop a team of catering staff that ensures the efficient organisation of the catering provision and secures consistently high standards.
Strategy Direction and Development:
- To provide the strategic direction needed for the area to develop successfully.
- To regularly monitor, review and evaluate the catering provision across the MLT.
- To plan, control, manage and ensure the production and service of high quality school meals that cater for all dietary requirements.
- To achieve the best value without compromising on quality.
- To be responsible for the performance of the catering provision across the Trust, including co-ordinating and overseeing catering for events in and out of school e.g. meetings, training, parent evenings and school productions.
- To negotiate best value contracts with authorised suppliers to ensure the cost effectiveness of the catering service.
- To use initiative and explore opportunities to continually move the MLT’s catering facilities forward, further improve standards and revenue.
- To keep abreast of MLT requirements and student demands, changing tastes and nutritional advice to provide a food and beverage ‘offer’ that is popular, attractive, ‘value for money’ and promotes sales.
- To be responsible for effective and timely menu planning; review and update menus across the MLT as required to ensure the catering service meets academy and customer needs
- To be responsible for the effective use of allocated funding, ensuring value for money.
Leading and Managing Staff:
- To organise, manage, train and develop all catering staff to ensure the efficient organisation of the catering service, and deal with any staffing problems/issues that arise in consultation with the HR Manager
- To plan and manage the catering staff rota to ensure continuity of service and standards and if necessary, enable the catering provision to be delivered in the absence of key personnel.
- To lead, manage and deliver on the preparation, cooking and service arrangements.
- To be responsible for the induction, health and safety and on the job training of all catering staff and undertake Performance Management Reviews, acting as a reviewer for staff in the catering team.
- To continue personal professional development, researching, requesting and undertaking relevant training for all concerned.
- To promote teamwork and to motivate staff to ensure effective working relations and communication.
Efficient and Effective deployment of Resources:
- To assume day-to-day responsibility for the management, control and operation of the catering provision across the MLT.
- To manage the whole school catering budget within budgetary guidelines and be accountable for ensuring that the business turnover is at least in line with expectations and covers all associated costs.
- To take responsibility for the school catering facilities; liaising with the Site Manager as required.
- To ensure the catering team adhere to relevant Nutritional legalisation and guidance.
- To maintain accurate stock records for all provisions and goods; maintaining authorised food stock levels, undertaking effective and efficient ordering of stock and carrying out stock checks as required and in accordance with Trust procedures.
- To ensure that delivery notes are checked against requisitions and any identified discrepancies are reported immediately to the supplier.
- To be responsible for reporting and controlling catering revenue and expenditure in accordance with academy guidelines.
- To manage and operate the cashless payment system; training and advising staff as required.
- To be responsible for the security of all monies coming into the catering operation.
- To complete financial reports for the Director of Business and Finance as required.
- To undertake routine checks of equipment, cleaning materials, stationery and uniform and equipment as required.
- Liaising with the Site team, ensure that the maintenance agreements for all equipment are current and arrange for the necessary checks at renewal.
Health and Safety and Hygiene:
- To be responsible for ensuring adherence to all trust policies and statutory guidance with regard to food and premises hygiene.
- To ensure the highest hygiene standards are maintained across all catering facilities in the Trust with adherence to clear routine and deep cleaning schedules.
- To ensure all catering staff are fully trained on food hygiene and cleaning requirements, specifications, standards and expectations; to include correct use of equipment, materials and methods.
- To ensure cleaning schedules and routines are established that are fit for purpose and ensure the maintenance of the highest hygiene standards.
- To ensure adherence to all procedures related to Health and Safety and COSHH regulations with regard to food, equipment, materials and general safety
- To ensure the safe operation of kitchen equipment at all times.
- To ensure that necessary repairs to kitchen equipment are reported immediately and repairs arranged, ensuring that unsafe equipment is taken out of use pending repair.
- To be accountable for inspections undertaken by Environmental Health Inspector and external verifiers ensuring Health, Hygiene and Safety statutory and policy requirements are met.
- To ensure the safety of all involved in the catering facilities, undertaking Risk Assessments as appropriate
- In addition to the duties outlined above, all employees are required to take care of their own and other people’s health and safety.
- To ensure that all accidents and incidents are reported, including notifiable diseases
- To ensure the security of the catering areas at all times.
- To be responsible for the regular inspection and maintenance of the First Aid box and arrange replenishment as necessary.
- To ensure that all catering personnel maintain high standards of cleanliness, personal hygiene and appearance.
Other Specific Duties:
- To play a full part in the life of the MLT community, to support its distinctive mission and ethos and to encourage staff and students to follow this example.
- To promote an environment that enables all students to realise their potential.
- To promote actively the MLT’s corporate policies.
- To comply with the MLT’s Child Protection, Safeguarding and Health and Safety policies and undertake risk assessments as appropriate.
- To continue professional development as agreed.
- To be courteous to colleagues and provide a welcoming environment to visitors.
Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a member of the Senior Leadership Team to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
The school will endeavour to make any necessary reasonable adjustments to the job and the working environment to enable access to employment opportunities for disabled job applicants or continued employment for any employee who develops a disabling condition.
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified.
This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post and will be subject to modification or amendment at any time after consultation with the post holder.
The Manor Learning Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff, students and volunteers to share this commitment.
- Good general level of education including English and maths to GCSE/Level 2 or equivalent
- Hospitality & Catering Qualification NVQ3 or C&G 706 1&2
- Food Safety Level 3 (minimum)
Skills and experience
- Leadership and management experience within the catering & hospitality industry and ideally in a school setting but this is not essential
- Ability to successfully manage and lead a team of staff
- Experience of supporting staff at all levels to make excellent progress
- Experience of working in a customer focused environment and producing and serving food to a customer base of 100+
- Confident and highly skilled in producing a range of high quality meals and menu items that are of a good standard, well presented and popular with both students and staff
- Good financial awareness and proven experience of managing and controlling budgets; able to cost food and manage stock effectively
- Ability to plan innovative and customer focused menus that are informed by ‘value for money’, seasonal and nutritional considerations
- Confident in use of IT and cashless pay systems
- Clear knowledge and understanding of health and safety and managing COSHH; able to train and induct staff on relevant health and safety practices and procedures
- A high standard of numeracy and literacy; able to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Has high expectations and able to maintain high standards of hygiene across all areas of the catering operation
- Sound knowledge and understanding of equal opportunities
- Excellent organisational skills, including planning and time management
- Flexibility and the ability to work calmly and quickly under pressure
- Resourcefulness and the ability to multitask and prioritise
- Ability to inspire and motivate a team
- Ability to co-ordinate and deliver hospitality events
- Ability to manage contractors, suppliers and engineers
- Sets high expectations of self and others
- A commitment to personal and professional development
- Willing and able to travel to all academies within the Trust
- A relevant and up-to-date first aid qualification
- Up to date awareness of national nutritional guidelines and how they impact on schools
- Managing multi-site catering operations