Head Chef (MOD site)
Are you currently a Head Chef seeking your next opportunity? If you are innovative, highly motivated, passionate about food and keeping up to date with food trends, this is a fantastic opportunity for you where you can contribute to providing UK Army personnel with the high quality facilities and services they deserve, and be proud to do so
Would you like the security of working for one of the world’s largest employers? Do you wish for the comfort of not having to work split shifts, late nights and every weekend? Are you passionate about excellent customer service? If you answer yes to all of these then you could be exactly who we are looking for.
Sodexo have provided catering and facilities management services to Colchester Garrison and its minor units since 2004. The military base is the home of 16 Air Assault Brigade – the UK’s most rapidly deployable and powerful air manoeuvre fighting formation. The 460-acre site is home to approximately 3,500 military and 750 civilian personnel.
As Head Chef,in the Junior Ranks Diner, you'll prepare, cook and serve food to the highest standards as per Company Quality Procedures and Sodexo Defence requirements. You'll also manage and motivate employees and assist in their training
We are a key partner to the Ministry of Defence, running services at major UK and overseas military bases which improve quality of life for our military personnel. The impact of change and uncertainty as consolidation occurs throughout the armed forces, set against a backdrop of today’s rapidly changing world, makes the preservation of high standards even more important than ever. We are dedicated to delivering the best quality as well as cost-efficiency in the delivery of infrastructure, facilities management, catering, retail and leisure services to the armed forces community
We’re proud that our work has a significant bearing on morale, retention and recruitment.
Competitive salary of £21,840 plus benefits including pension and option to 'buy' additional flexible benefits such as holidays, healthcare etc
We also offer Sodexo Discounts site promoting discounted mobile phone tariffs, savings across restaurant chains and days out, where you and your family can save money on everything from your weekly food shop to the latest cinema blockbusterMain responsibilities
- Prepare, cook and serve food within specified budgets to the standard required by the client within the Statement of Requirement.
- Achieve and maintain the presentation and hygiene standards required within Sodexo Defence Services Quality Procedure, and the client.
- Manage and supervise Chefs and ancillary staff completing a work roster in conjunction with the Centre Manager taking into account feeding levels and functions.
- Ensure all equipment within the area of responsibility is used correctly and training is undertaken in this area, where necessary, and recorded, deficiencies identified and exchange requirements communicated to the Centre Manager.
- Plan and cost menus daily and to meet customer requirements liaising with the Centre Manager.
- Control all food stocks complying with the correct ordering and delivery monitoring procedures laid down in the Quality System. Undertake regular stock-checks and maintain stock levels as directed.
- Ensure Assured Safe Catering principles are followed at all times encompassing legal requirements of the Food Safety Act 1990. All aspects of the foods journey through the system are to be monitored and recorded, to include delivery, freezer and fridges temperature checks.
- Comply with the HSWA, Food Safety and COSHH regulations.
- Motivate, train and develop staff both as individuals and within the team.
- Implement and monitor all aspects of the Quality Control System within the area of responsibility in conjunction with the Centre Manager and Chef Manager.
*please see attached job description for further detailsIdeal candidate
- Demonstrate experience of working in a similar role within the service industry at a comparable level in a company
- Management knowledge of health & safety and food safety
- Able to demonstrate working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Proven experience in catering sector, including stock management, cash control and customer service
- Able to demonstrate attention to detail and adherence to standards
- Must have one of the following qualifications or equivalent:- BSC (Catering), MHCIM, HND, City and Guilds 706/1 and 2, NVQ level 2 and 3 and possess an intermediate level food safety certificate
- Able to analyse problems analytically, develop opportunities and implement innovative solutions
- Proven experience of managing client relationships
- Proven track record of leading, managing and developing a team
- Experience of working in a military environment
- IOSH qualification or equivalent
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to further engage ex-forces personnel and reservists. Those applying for roles with us who meet the essential criteria advertised under the ‘ideal candidate’ on the vacancy advertised are guaranteed to progress within the selection process.