National Culinary Director
Our client is looking to recruit for a National Culinary Director to join this forward thinking, innovative and creative fresh food contract catering company. They have a UK-wide, Ireland & European presence and are continuing to grow from their current 270 locations, circa £100m turnover. This role requires an experienced Culinary Lead / Figurehead who is already responsible for a national remit.
The opportunity for this person will be to lead the re-creation of this company's 'food story' ensuring it is fresh, forward thinking and constantly keeping the high street and new global trends on its toes. It needs to be all about great food offering amazing experiences. This is an ideal opportunity for someone wishing to make a name for themselves as the role will have high profile and a focus on personal PR.
This Culinary Director can come from any sector of the catering and hospitality industry, however a tangible understanding of restaurants/retail/high street and international food trends would be advantageous, as this would be beneficial to bring that innovation to the company.
You will be responsible for leading the food strategy across all business sectors in terms of innovation, menus, pop-ups', people, development of the team, food legislation, best practice etc. We are looking for a real self-starter, the need to attract individuals who have a proven track record of success with evidence of working for an entrepreneurial and progressive business is essential.
For this role we will be looking for a candidate who:
- Understands the contract catering world and commercial contracts, as well as high street
- Has their finger on the pulse with regard to food trends
- Is able to produce innovative and seasonal menus
- Plans meticulously and has an eye for detail and a head for project managing
- Is familiar with presenting at Board level, including various Stakeholders
- Is commercially astute
- Has a stable and progressive career to date
- Is a strong ideas person and team player
- Is prepared to travel on a national basis
- Understands the customer
- Is ambitious and thrives in a work hard culture
- Can demonstrate strong financial skills
The Main Job Objective:
- Inspire, develop and motivate the operational teams at all levels and in all areas of the business.
- Implement and maintain standards for food production, development and chef behaviours
- Support the creation, development and implementation of the annual food team strategy
- Deliver craft-based training and mentoring
- Drive sales and profitability through implementing both individual and food-team initiatives
- Ensure the teams work in clean, safe and compliant working environments.
- Oversee craft skills within key contracts and strategic large accounts
The Main Responsibilities:
- Manage the chef and nutrition team, their resource allocation, strategic direction and ongoing development.
- Set the standards for all food and beverage production
- Manage new product development and product innovation
- Liaise with central business functions as required, including but not limited to marketing, procurement, systems and QHSE
- Supporting sales activities, new contract openings, external / internal client events and industry events
- Manage chef talent-development and succession planning
- Feed into the annual craft team learning and development calendar to support requirements identified through the review process and Personal Development Plans for the chef team
- Lead Chef forums and supplier innovations days
- Drive profitability and support commerciality of the business through central food team activities.
- Involvement with managing supplier relationships
- Support the interview and appointment process of chefs and identify talent development opportunities
- Ensure food policy and strategy in areas such as allergen management is implemented and followed and food safety is proactively managed across the business.
- Attend operations meetings and lead central chef team meetings as required.
- Attend client meetings as and when required and support proactive client relationships.
- Regularly report on chef and nutrition activity to the company Managing Director
If you believe you have the skills and experience we are looking for in this Culinary Director role, then please apply by sending your CV along with any relevant supporting evidence which may be helpful at this level.
Cartwheel - going head over heels to help you!