Business Development Executive/Manager
CH&Co and its brand divisions are one of the most respected and vibrant, cutting edge companies within the food service sector today. We have a reputation for good food, unrivalled service and a passion for making each and every eating experience a memorable one.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to work for Ampersand, an experienced player specialising in bespoke catering at some of the UK's most iconic venues and visitors attractions.
We are looking for a confident, passionate, dynamic Business Development Executive/Manager to join our vibrant company and to lead the business development activity for the Events and Hospitality business at ZSL London Zoo. The world famous conservation charity and visitor attraction dedicated to the world wide protection of animals and their habitats offers unique spaces and unforgettable experiences for events with over twelve venues across 36 acres of zoological gardens. Events range from 20 – 700 guests including meetings, conferences, dinners, Summer parties, Christmas parties, private events and weddings.
The role is responsible for proactively driving sales and promoting ZSL London Zoo as an events and hospitality location. Contributing to the achievement of the sales and marketing function objectives and providing key support to the onsite event sales and operations teams as part of a 'one team’ approach. Build and maintain positive relationships with prospective and elapsed clients, develop your own prospect list, generate enquiries to be handed over to the onsite team and create new revenue streams through business development initiatives and support the delivery of a first class customer experience through excellent event management.
Ampersand are looking for a proven, high performer with relevant experience and a passion for animals, events and food to join our customer-focused team.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
Sales and Business Development
Meet team and personal targets set by the GM.
• Meet KPI quotas for proactive calls, offsite meetings, site visits, enquiries and financial targets.
• Develop your own prospect list and business development activity plan. Report back on your activity and progress at agreed time intervals.
• Accurately identify the level of influence and decision making power of contacts in the customer organisation and use this to secure business and obtain new customers.
• Have excellent knowledge of the site, venues, unique selling points and the f&b offering.
• Achieve higher average spend by effective use of up selling to each client.
• Ensure all enquiries and new prospects are processed through the sites event software system and are handed over to the onsite sales team.
• Create quotes, proposals for clients for events ensuring that:
o Costs are accurate and company policy followed
o Profit margins are maintained
o Quality is not compromised
o The client’s requirements are met
o The Ampersand brand is not diluted in any way
o Record commissions on the allocated tracker document
• Conduct show rounds and food tastings that are organised and set up to company standards.
• Support the Sales and Events Manager in the fulfilment of sales and marketing tasks, including but not limited to new packages, benchmarking, marketing projects, social media initiatives and proactive sales activity.
• Support the analysis of the reactive sales business to identify and capitalize on all key opportunities.
• Contribute towards the site’s sales and marketing plan. Delivery your actions on time and budget.
• Organise and host various client familiarisation events in efforts to create new business.
• Produce reports and presentations at the request of the Sales and Events Manager and GM.
• From time to time, this role may be required to support the operations team in event delivery and take the operational lead for a proportion of events.
• Collate the function sheets for the kitchen and back of house department for all tastings and events.
• To personally manage large and small scale events, including all aspects of liaison with the client, suppliers and internal teams to ensure successful running of the event.
• Ensure that staff from nominated suppliers are booked in a timely fashion and within the budgets set out in the proposal document.
• Ensure all the equipment agreed with the client is ordered and placed for all events within the budget set out in the proposal document.
• Ensure that all relevant drinks are ordered for events based on the client’s needs
• Produce full RAMS for all events.
• Onsite management of the event staff (front and back of house), giving them an accurate briefing or the event.
• Ensure that all operational packs are collated at the end of the event that would include, timesheets, drinks consumption, hire sheets in preparation for billing.
• Close all live documentation (staff bookings) on line in preparation for billing.
• Escalate any staffing issues, hire issues directly with the supplier giving constructive feedback.
• Run through billing for final sign off with Group GM and finance teams.
• Support the operations team in accurately producing, maintaining and updating operations manuals, schedules, event plans, briefings and budgets as necessary.
• Communicate and provide information to internal departments and colleagues to assist and enable sales activities to run smoothly.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with colleagues and clients both internal and external.
• Attend events meetings with the operations teams.
• Represent the Sales team in an efficient, friendly and organised manner.
• Establish any other cross-business within organisation.
• To contribute towards an entrepreneurial and customer focused team culture and provide guidance and support to colleagues.
• To be a committed and motivated team member focused on the delivery of CH&Co Group values.
• To have an open mind to accept change and innovation to allow for growth and development.
• To maintain a happy and helpful manner and attitude throughout your work. Be polite and courteous and help your colleagues.
• Co-ordinate post event P&L ensuring that the quoted budgets are met.
• Ensure all deposits are sent and received with the signed T&C from the client.
• Ensure final billing / invoice is sent to the client in the agreed time frame.
Health and Safety
• To keep up to date with all COSHH and HACCP procedures and methods.
• To report any equipment and/or building fabric faults and any hygiene, health and safety hazard to the GM.
Ad Hoc Projects
• To actively take part in ad hoc projects as and when required.
• To support other units across the CH&Co Group.
Essential 2-3 years experience of being a high performer in an event sales team or business development role in a similar organisaiton
Successful track record of implementing sales and marketing initiatives
Successful track record of proactively generating new business
Excellent customer service skills
Excellent communication, written and verbal skills
Excellent negotiation skills
Track record of working to and delivering financial targets
Ability to use computerised diary booking systems
Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends on a regular basis
Desirable Talent for identifying creative solutions to problems
Highly numerate and experienced devising and managing budgets
A passion for animals and food