We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Chef to join our team at HMP Holme House.
The hourly rate of pay is £8.72 per hour and the shift pattern is 4 days on 4 days off, 6.30am to 6.00pm.
The right candidate will:
- Cook and assemble all menu dishes, providing high quality dishes for the Prisoner’s.
- Assist in general cleaning of the kitchen, maintaining high standards of hygiene.
- Provide high quality service to Prisoner’s and Client in line with a food service offer that is applicable to sector and client.
- To supervise and instruct prisoners in your area, making sure they adhere to Food Safety and Health and Safety standards.
- Supervisions of Prisoners
- That security of tools is controlled and that prisoners are escorted correctly to and from the kitchen as per the security agreement with the client.
- Oversee all aspects of preparation, quality, quantity, assemble and cooking of menu. Keeping to all recipes and quantities of ingredients. Making sure food is prepared on the day it is required, especially pastry, custard and sauces. No food is to go down the waste disposal without the authority of the Kitchen Manager / Catering Manager
- Correct number of portions to house blocks, no extra food or milk to be taken without the permission of the Kitchen Manager.
- Meal times are delivered in time with core day
- Procedure of tool room, short cuts must not be taken. All tools must be washed and dried before being handed back.
- Maintain PSI 44 standards
- You must check and be aware of changing food preparation numbers, and make sure that the correct numbers are prepared and supplied.
- All dishes must be prepared as per the menu. If onions are on the menu these must be supplied. Donna Kebab must be served with Pitta Bread and Salad. Casseroles must be prepared properly and not just vegetable soup with vegetables added. Care must be taken with all dishes
- The preparation, cooking and assemble all dishes needed for any specific dietary requirements and allergies must be prepared with care so that cross contamination does not occur. Diets must be completed separately, the benches cleaned and sanitised. Then the next allergen meal can be started. All diets must be served in their own tray and given out on the servery by the Chef.
- Breaks to be taken on the instruction of the kitchen supervisor. When the breaks commence all Chefs left on the shop floor must supervise all the remaining prisoners, not stay closeted in their own area, making sure prisoners are supervised at all times by sufficient staff.
- Any food put into the fridge for storage must be labelled and dated
- Follow set portion control
- To ensure all food is stored, handled and packed at the correct temperature and in accordance with
- To maintain records of temperatures and remedial action taken where necessary, reporting all issues to the kitchen supervisor.
- To oversee the service of food on the food counters in the Prison premises following all customer service standards
- Use machinery as shown and trained to ensure equipment is used safely and in accordance with legislation and reporting of equipment issues to Your line manager
- To ensure work areas are kept clean and that all waste is recorded and disposed of correctly
- Train prisoners to use machinery as shown and trained to ensure equipment is used safely and in accordance with legislation and reporting of equipment issues to Your line manager
- To work with colleagues, sharing best practice and together ensure the quality and presentation of the food is to the Highest standard and specification
- Tug Driving, delivery of meals to house blocks
- Delivery of refreshments and buffets
- To comply with all Health & Safety legislation to attend and comply with any training, including E Learning.
- To ensure you comply with current dress and personal hygiene regulations, including the wearing of sleeves down. Uniform must be freshly laundered daily. Hats must be worn at all times. No outdoor clothing can be worn in food preparation areas. Hair is tied back and off the shoulders. Hair nets must be worn over long hair.
- Good people skills
- Passion about food and customer service
- Experience in a similar environment
- Food Hygiene Certificate
- High Standards and quality driven
- A ‘Can do’ attitude
ESS Support Services Worldwide is the defence, government, offshore and remote business sector of Compass Group UK & Ireland. It provides food and support services to major companies and organisations operating in remote sites, defence, central and local government departments, police, prisons & offshore sectors.