Membership Sales and Retention Lead
In this customer facing role you will lead the creation and continued development of an outstanding Front of House (FOH) customer experience that drives membership sales and maximises customer retention.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Proactively engage and communicate with internal and external customers to provide an outstanding customer experience.
- Effectively manage Membership Assistants, ensuring they are customer focussed and contributing to wider UofG Sport and University objectives.
- Implement improvements to service provision, ensuring FOH staff meet agreed performance standards.
- Provide information to existing and prospective customers on the services provided by UofG Sport.
- Achieve Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) relating to new member sales and member retention taking a lead role in the sales performance through setting of agreed KPI’s for Membership Assistants.
- Regularly update and manage a member’s database, utilising information from the Leisure Management System (LMS) for statistical reports, new members and income that can be produced monthly to inform performance and forecasting.
- Responsibility for entry, maintenance and coordination of classes, inductions and gym programmes in the LMS, working with the Service Development Team to ensure accuracy and development of services.
- Responsibility for developing and delivering a comprehensive FOH customer service training programme that includes but not exhaustively; UofG Sport customer service, cash handling, LMS, social media, sales & retention.
- Play a key role in responding to customer enquiries and resolving complaintsresolving customer complaints in a prompt and effective manner.
- Work with the Marketing & Membership Manager on the creation and development of the UofG Sport membership journey, playing a key role in delivering a number of annual membership programmes and campaigns.
- Support the delivery of a series of on & off-campus events, maximising the profile of UofG Sport, promoting and raising membership awareness to drive sales.
- Contribute to the development of new membership initiatives (e.g. mobile app, direct debits).
- Lead and direct FOH cash handling and till operations, providing assistance with daily banking where required. Ensure cash handling is managed transparently, securely and in accordance with University regulations.
- Work with the Operations Manager to ensure FOH services are integrated with the wider building operations.
- Create links, networking and co-ordinating activities with colleagues across the University to raise awareness and explore partnership opportunities (e.g. Accommodation Services, Marketing and Recruitment International Office (MaRIO), Development & Alumni Office).
Knowledge, Qualification, Skills & Experience
- Scottish Credit and Qualification Framework level 7 (Higher/Scottish Vocational Qualification level 3, Higher National Certificate) or equivalent, and experience of personal development in a similar role, or;
Ability to demonstrate the competencies required to undertake the duties associated with this level of post having acquired the necessary knowledge and skills in a similar role.
- IT skills including MS Office, email and the internet.
- Knowledge of the sales process.
- Emergency First-Aid Qualification or the ability to obtain within the first 3 months of a successful appointment
- Sales, retention and/or customer service training/qualifications.
- Knowledge of Customer Relationship Manager (CRM) systems.
- Knowledge of Leisure Management Systems.
- Knowledge of social media and website sales/promotion & communication.
- Strong management skills, empowering others to drive change.
- Strong, confident and adaptive communicator with excellent interpersonal skills adapting style to suit different people or situations; ability to start conversations as well as respond positively to enquires.
- Ability to ‘set the standard’ in providing first class customer service.
- Ability to pro-actively approach, communicate and engage with customers, building effective rapport.
- Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills and experience of working in a customer-facing environment providing a high level of customer service.
- Tackles mediocrity, even when it is difficult to do so.
- Ability to interpret sales data, plan and forecast.
- Previous experience of working in a sales environment with demonstrable evidence of working to, and exceeding sales targets.
- Previous experience of working in a busy customer facing environment
- Proven experience of leading and motivating a team, fostering engagement and achieving set objectives.
- Ability to work under pressure and plan and organise workload to meet deadlines and competing priorities.
- Experience of best practice cash handling, banking and till operations.
- Experience of producing accurate sales and membership reports utilising databases and spreadsheets.
- Previous experience of working with a LMS.
- Previous experience of managing a customer complaint process.
- Manager within UofG Sport. Responsible for the line management of 8 Membership Assistants.
- Manages and informs the frontline sales, retention and operations of a vibrant University Service with a daily throughput of 2,000-3,000 visits throughout the year including public holidays.
- Membership income currently exceeds £2m per annum. Working to agreed sales targets and enhancing member length of stay will have a significant impact on this income generation.
- Lead the processing of 15,000+ UofG Sport memberships comprising students; staff; associated staff and alumni; community members.
- Daily cash handling and banking of up to £18,000 during peak membership periods
- Contributes to providing customer information on a wide and varied programme of events and services (one of largest programmes offered in the UK) including over 80 exercise classes per week, consultations, inductions, 50 sport clubs, sport leagues, recreational bookings and events.
- Involved in a variety of financial transactions (e.g. membership sales, counting/ banking money, credit/debit transactions, direct debits).
- Responsibility for FOH quality and consistency across both UoG Sport sites.
Planning and Organising
- Plan and develop annual and longer-term activities to contribute to UofG Sport annual Action Plans and to provide clarity of focus for team members.
- Plan own work, preparing for specific tasks and prioritising detailed requirements and responding to demands and changing service/team priorities.
- Liaison with service users and/or external suppliers/contractors to identify and review service requirements, monitoring customer feedback to improve service/operational delivery.
- Review performance of Membership Assistants, provide feedback and put in place action/development plans where necessary.
- To organise the workload of the Membership Assistants.
- Monitor and review the quality of work and targets achieved by the Membership Assistants, identify long term trends and act to maximise service quality.
- Decide and act on access to facilities for guests/ members (e.g. members who have forgotten cards, ineligibility for membership).
- Pro-actively deal with member comments or complaints.
The post will interact with the following key people:
- Regular proactive communication with customers & prospective members of UofG Sport as part of delivering an outstanding customer experience, selling memberships or dealing with enquiries.
- Duty Manager on shift as first point of contact to ensure two-way work load management.
- UofG Sport staff – to deal with customer enquires via other areas (e.g. Service Development Teachers, Operations Manager).
- Leading the delivery of service for any partners or corporate members, ensuring the experience meets agreed objectives.
- Colleagues across the University to raise awareness and explore partnership opportunities (e.g. Accommodation Services, Marketing and Recruitment International Office (MaRIO), Development & Alumni Office).
- Resolve most customer complaints without reference to others.
- Support and guide the Membership Assistants in responding to customer enquiries.
- Solve a range of membership related queries.
- Proactive, enthusiastic and flexible approach to work, consistently reliable in delivery.
- Accepting of new ideas and change initiatives.
- Improve of all areas of responsibility within the role as well as seeking opportunities for organisational improvement.
- Demonstrates professionalism, credibility, trust and respect both internally and externally
- Required to work weekends and evenings determined by business demand and requirements.
- This post will be based in the Stevenson Building at the Gilmorehill Campus but there is a requirement to work at Garscube Sports Complex.
- In your role you may be required to work on some public holidays and also the “Other” University closure days. When this is the case the time will be added to your annual leave balance.
To apply for this role, please click on "Apply Now"