Coffee Shop Manager
We are CH&CO, a group of chefs, nutritionists and people pleasers with a shared passion for food that fuels emotional positivity as well as physical wellbeing. In a world where what we consume is becoming ever faster and more disposable, we’re proud to take a more thoughtful, mindful approach to the food experiences we source, prepare and present.
Rawthmells is a new and exciting venture for the RSA over three floors and incorporates both a coffeehouse and networking and collaboration space for the RSA’s fellows and members of the public. The role of the Rawthmells Manager is to be responsible for its financial success, ensuring it is an attractive and creative space which encourages visitors to return and to grow in their understanding and support of the activities of the RSA. Headline responsibilities include:
• Providing an attractive and fast changing catering offer which encourages visitors to spend money and return
• Management of the environment to ensure that both visitors who want a more substantial meal and those who are just having a coffee are equally comfortable
• Ensuring the Rawthmells environment is always tidy, welcoming and looks its best and being proactive in considering ways in which the space could be better used
• Working closely with the Rawthmells Events and Programme Manager to ensure that planned events work smoothly and generate revenue for the coffeehouse
You will have overall responsibility for the coffeehouse, ensuring an efficient and profitable service is provided whilst maintaining the reputation and service ethos of CH&CO, and using the distinctive attributes of the RSA and the Rawthmells spaces to help ensure the coffeehouse is a lively, thriving place. You will be involved in developing house sales and be able to understand and manage in accordance with finance and budget requirements. You will be responsible for ensuring the service is delivered in line with the client requirements and the CH&CO brand.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
Food and Service Development
• Coordinate the entire operation of the coffeehouse during scheduled shifts.
• Ensuring both floors are presentable to the agreed standards at all times
• Meet and greet customers and be a presence in the coffeehouse.
• Oversee the table booking system to ensure maximum use of tables.
• Continually introducing new seasonal offers for promoting F&B and monitoring the uptake, based on a pre-agreed marketing calendar
• Advise customers on menu, describing food choices and food style and making suggestions for wine choice and up selling where appropriate.
• Ensure that the client expectations of food and food service are consistently delivered in line with the CH&CO brand.
• Brief all staff regarding food and service standards to ensure that all services provided are of the highest standards.
• Continually monitor the service and food provided in the coffeehouse, give feedback to the chefs / service team and to ensure the food and service is of the highest quality.
• Dealing with and resolving customer complaints.
• Assist in any area of the restaurant when circumstances dictate.
Relationship Management and Customer Service
• Develop and sustain good working relationships with the client at the RSA.
• Act as the first point of reference for all customer comments and concerns and take any necessary action. Where necessary respond to customer complaints and provide service recovery and follow through.
• Uphold the fair use policy of RSA House and take action to make sure customers are behaving in a community-minded manner (for example, asking a guest to use headphones for a skype call, or to share their table to maximise available space).
• Actively gain customer feedback and use the information to improve the food and service offering. Record and regularly share feedback received that relates to the atmosphere, events and programme of the coffeehouse.
• Maintain an awareness of the current and upcoming programme in the coffeehouse.
• Working with the venue manager to ensure the coffeehouse achieves the financial targets agreed with the client in line with the budget, taking overall responsibility for the business performance of the coffeehouse.
• Maximising all business opportunities to drive sales
• Recognise and help pursue opportunities to create events that fulfill the commercial targets and mission of the coffeehouse, working with Rawthmells Events and Programme Manager.
• Understand and interpret the relevant financial control systems and use the information to measure performance and to achieve all financial targets working with the venue manager where necessary.
• Prepare any necessary reports at the end of each week outlining staff control, food control and sales.
• Prepare, produce and present a monthly financial report for the Operations Directors detailing financial performance, activity and plans for the coffeehouse and outlining any necessary action that has been taken.• Purchasing stock, supplies and negotiating best prices with trade suppliers
• Quarterly bench marking against local competition
Managing/Developing a Team
• Ensure all staff carry out tasks in accordance with company health, hygiene, quality and safety standards as set out in the appropriate CH&CO manual.
• Responsible for recruiting, training & developing RCH staff
• Ensure staff of Rawthmells are aware of the mission of the coffeehouse, the existing/upcoming programme and the opportunities the space offers to Fellows and others
• Provide effective day-to-day performance management to all Front of House staff.
• Provide induction, initial skills and on the job training for all Front of House staff to ensure the service is delivered in line with client expectations and CH&CO standards.
• Manage and report staff absence, timekeeping, sickness as necessary and provide the information to the relevant department in CH&CO.
• Provide feedback to any member of staff ensuring that all team members are
aware of CH&CO standards and requirements and carry out their jobs to the best of their ability in a timely and efficient manner.
• Analyse and plan coffeehouse sales levels and profitability
• Utilise contacts and personal profile to attract new business to the coffeehouse.
• Work to maximise sales at the coffeehouse through effective upselling and offering of promotions.
• Working with General Manager recommend and organise marketing activities, such as promotional events and discount schemes.
• To represent the coffeehouse as necessary at meetings within CH&CO
Health & Safety
• To keep up to date with all COSHH and HACCP procedures and methods.
• Ensure that all employees adhere to the uniform standards
• To report any equipment and/or building fabric faults and any hygiene, health and safety hazard to the relevant parties on site and in CH&CO.
• Take responsibility for personal development looking for opportunities to expand knowledge of industry trends in food and food service, leadership and management practices
• To attend training courses and attend CH&CO meetings when necessary