General Porter – Pool and Nights
A great opportunity to join our passionate Hospital Porters team on a permanent basis has become available to work within our busy healthcare setting.
In this role you will be required to be fully flexible with the shifts you can work and be available to work days, evening and nights to include being available to work at least every other weekend.
This role will suit a customer focused individual to join a world leading food and facilities management company, which can offer unrivalled opportunities for career progression.Main responsibilities
- Carry out all duties allocated by the Portering Supervisor on duty Transport patients on beds, trolleys and in wheelchairs around the hospital site. At all times observe the correct safety procedures, as laid down in the Portering Health and Safety Policy. To collect and safely dispose of all hospital waste to include blue confidential waste bags, body parts and linen from around the hospital site in compliance with the Waste Management Policy. Provide a regular soiled linen collection service to all disposal rooms and designated areas and transport items to the dirty linen collection point on level A Phase I, loading bay. Carry out a collection of all empty store cages throughout the hospital and return them to the Receipt and Distribution Department on Level A. Collection of soiled linen from all levels, morning and afternoon. Weekly transfer of medical equipment from and to Theatres and Day Surgery Unit.. Delivery, collection and disposal of all furniture requests. This includes moving office furniture to different departments. Delivery of out of hours, weekends and evening pharmacy bags (TTO's) IV boxes (crates). Provide an ongoing Trustwide collection of all front hall wheelchairs returning them to the Front Hall, any faults are to be reported to the Supervisor immediately. Undertake the changing of medical gas cylinders from wards and other clinical areas. Change the manifold bank cylinders, when required to. Wipe down and ensure the good maintenance of department wheelchairs. Report all faults to the Matron. Operation of pedestrim tugs and compactor. Assist in the daily restocking of the department Convey samples to laboratories/other departments Collect patient notes from Medical Records and convey to other departments/wards Assist in patient transfer within the department Assist the Portering Supervisors and nursing team in any security incidents with the department if requested. Report any defective equipment to Supervision Attend all trauma and cardiac arrests to assist in patient transfer, disposal of specimens, collection of urgent notes and equipment etc. Carry out other duties of a similar nature as required by the Matron in agreement with the Hotel Services Manager. Complete all Statutory and Mandatory Training, as required. Handle deceased patients and safely transport them to the hospital mortuary. Observe due propriety to the deceased at all times. Prepare bodies for viewing, when requested by the Site Nurse Practitioner. Receive BID / DOA into the mortuary from ambulance/undertaker and also as a witness to Police searches on brought in deceased. Administration work is carried out including the entry into the mortuary register. Assist in major incident procedure if required. Comply with and follow Major Incident Procedure. Carry out security check paying attention to quite areas/lone workers.
- Good command of the English language with a passion for patient care and be able to liaise closely with ward staff.
- Awareness of high patient cares standards
- Must have a 'Can do' attitude
- Able to work under pressure, individually and as part of a team.
- Ability to work in a fast paced healthcare environment and has a flexible approach to meet the needs of the business.
- Be aware that this is a hospital environment and at times you will come in contact with patients that are particularly unwell or showing signs of distress.
- Previous experience and knowledge is desirable but not essential as full training will be given
- This position is subject to a Disclosure & Baring Service check costs, are met by the employer
Medirest is the specialist healthcare operating company of Compass Group UK & Ireland, providing a full range of hotel services, including staff, patient and visitor catering, domestics, portering, security and reception, at over 130 NHS Trusts and private hospitals.
We offer great discounts such as discounted cinema tickets, gyms membership, food outlets and supermarkets as well as life insurance and the option to join the company pension scheme. We offer further training by offering an accredited qualification through our NVQ program.