Provide a 24hr switchboard and alarm monitoring service to The Royal Surrey County Hospital.
Full training is given on the operation of the Switchboard and all the procedures relating to emergencies, trauma, fire etc.
Training to night duty requires full knowledge and confidence to work a 10hr duty alone. This duty includes updating the on call doctors wall board and diary from numerous rota. Be capable of dealing with any given situation which may arise.
As the switchboard is generally the first contact with the Hospital, operators are required to be polite, efficient and knowledgeable. Due to policies and procedure always changing this means that training is ongoing
Operating an A/C WIN Computer Based Switchboard system. Dealing with internal and external enquiries, all the emergencies within The Trust and contacting personnel when requested by means of the bleep or paging systems.
2. Providing cover for operators who are on annual leave/sickness.
3. Being prepared to be called in for duty at short notice for day or night emergencies or to cover sudden absence of staff.
4. Understanding and operating the on call rota systems covering the Royal Surrey and the Community.
5. Being responsible for the issuing, record keeping and programme changes of all internal bleeps
Exchange bleep and pager batteries on request.
Follow emergency procedures for the following:-
- Priority and Trauma Calls
- Major Incident
- Bomb Alert
- Personal Attack Alarms
- 2222 Calls
- Follow procedures for the following Alarms :- Blood and Pharmacy Fridges, Boiler House, Medical Gases and Oxygen, Security Doors and other Security Alarms.
Carrying out any clerical work associated with above listed duties and including the following:-
1. When requested contact Royal Surrey on call personnel by phone, pager or mobile.
2. Keeping daily diary of on call personnel amending the information when changes occur. Changing rota’s, keeping records of annual leave of Consultants, Doctors and Key Personal. Holding list of Interpreters.
3. Being responsible for holding and acting upon Escalation Procedures for Norlands including Roof Access over Bunkers, Medirest, Accommodation Office.
4. Record times and dates of all untoward incidents requiring Switchboard involvement including :- priorities, traumas, major incidents & fire alarms. Also record date/times of any system failures.
5. Order and record details of any taxi/courier services requested.
No qualifications needed
Previous Experience of working within an office environment
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
About the company
Healthcare Retail, part of Medirest, is passionate about delivering excellent products, standards and customer service to patients, staff and visitors in over 50 NHS hospitals around the UK through convenience and catering retail formats. The portfolio comprises many high street brand franchises including Costa Coffee and M&S Simply Food as well as a selection of in-house brands.