We are CH&CO, a group of chefs, nutritionists and people pleasers with a shared passion for food that fuels emotional positivity as well as physical wellbeing. In a world where what we consume is becoming ever faster and more disposable, we’re proud to take a more thoughtful, mindful approach to the food experiences we source, prepare and present.
Job Title: Chef Manager
Reporting to: Operations Manager
Based at: The Hive Cafe
Competency Level: Level 2 Manage & Operate
Responsible for the provision of quality seasonal food in a contemporary style in line with the CH&CO
brand whilst maintaining all standards of quality, food hygiene and health and safety. Responsible for
the full management of the kitchen, the kitchen team and the Front of House staff. Delivers all
budgetary targets and provides high standards of customer service. To work on a shift basis as required
by the business.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
• Responsible and accountable for the food provision in the relevant site
• To fully understand the CH&CO brand in terms of food and food service
• Develop and plan menus that are in line with client and customer expectations at the relevant CH&CO
• Prepare and oversee all preparation of food to the highest standard and in line with the CH&CO style
ensuring food is seasonal, of known provenance and where possible sourced locally and in a timely
fashion to ensure smooth service to the customers
• Liaise with the Front of House Manager and staff daily to establish menus and requirements for
• Ensure that all appropriate ingredients are available for the menus being prepared and where
necessary identify shortages and instigate action to source ingredients
• To seek customer feedback during service and use the information to develop the food and food
service offering in the relevant site
• Maintain a professional and friendly image with the client and customers at the relevant site
• Work effectively with all colleagues to ensure excellent customer service
• Attend to customer needs in a polite and helpful manner providing assistance where necessary in
line with the CH&CO style and to respond appropriately to any customer queries or complaints taking
responsibility to resolve where necessary
• Be up to date with customer needs and tastes and communicate any ideas to the Company Chef
• Plan menus and prepare food in order to minimise wastage
• Control costs through efficient purchasing and use of existing stock whilst ensuring that CH&CO
standards and style is maintained.
• Ensure that budgetary targets are achieved on site through a thorough understanding of GP, GP%,
selling price, cost price, margin, mark up and calculation of menu costs through recipes.
• Responsible for undertaking weekly and monthly stock takes and to coordinate stock ordering for
• Raise all supplier quality issues with the Purchasing Department at CH&CO
• Administer financial controls in the site and keep records using the appropriate systems, ensure
effective communication of all financial matters and continuously monitor financial performance and
report as required
Managing / Developing a Team
• Overall responsibility for managing the entire team in the site ensuring they are all are aware of
CH&CO standards and carry out their jobs in line with the standards
• Responsible for producing high quality seasonal food in a timely fashion through the kitchen team
• Conduct daily briefings before service ensuring all staff understand the day’s menus and are aware
of their responsibilities for the day
• Provide feedback and coaching on performance
• Provide any necessary on-job training whereby increasing the team’s understanding and knowledge
of produce and food service.
• To carry out performance appraisals as and when directed by the company.
• To manage poor performance in line with the CH&CO process
• To induct new staff into their position.
• To monitor the attendance of all staff at the relevant site
Health & Safety
• To understand and comply with CH&CO and statutory health, hygiene and safety, quality standards
including COSHH and HACCP and to ensure that all tasks are carried out in accordance these standards
by all members of the kitchen team.
• Ensure the team have complete up to date COSSH and Food Hygiene training.
• Ensure equipment and food temperature readings are taken and recorded on a daily basis
• Ensure all food is labelled and dated in fridges and freezers.
• Wear the correct uniform and safety shoes as directed and maintain uniform items appropriately.
• Report any equipment and/or building fabric faults and any hygiene, health and safety hazard to the
• To attend training courses and attend CH&CO meetings when necessary.
• To assist in sales presentations where required.
• To act as a resource to the Company Chef and Food Development Director.